Friday, February 4, 2011

Welcome new couponers!

Guessing by the amount of hits this site is getting I figured there are lots of new couponers lurking around.  Here are a few things for newbies to think about or oldies to review.

1) Where do you get your coupons and how do you keep track of them?

This is simple. I get an equal amount of coupons off the computer by printing them from sites like redplum.com, coupons.com, and smartsource.com as I do from the sunday newspaper.  When new coupons online come out I only print any high dollar coupons I might use along with any frozen veggie coupons (these generally do not last very long). I do not print any other coupons until I am ready to use them, since printing them generally makes them expire sooner. I also get my coupons from redplum in the mail, they come automatically.


2) How do you keep track of your coupons?

When I get my Sunday paper, I take the inserts out and write the date on the front.  After that I file it flat in an accordian file with the date above it. I do not throw any coupons from inserts away, unless they have expired.  I keep the inserts in file for about 5 weeks. At the end of the 5 weeks I sort through those inserts and clip any coupons that have NOT yet expired. I place these coupons in an envelope with the date on it and place it in the back of my file.  I keep a mental note of coupons for items that I HAVE to have, even if the item doesn't go on sale (i.e. diaper coupons).

3) Why would you file it this way?

The answer to this question is simple.  When I create my matchups you will notice that I will say SS 1/23 (Means you can find your coupon in the SS insert, located under 1/23 in your file).  When I do the weekly match ups, I run each sale item through a coupon database that tells me where to find the coupon. I go to my insert and check (since there are regional variations) to make sure I have the coupon before I post it in my blog. This makes couponing easy and much less time consuming for people who have given up due to coupons laying all over the house, disorganization of coupons, or not being able to save very much.

4) Ok, so there is an item I use frequently on sale for a great price but I don't have a coupon for it! What do I do?

Buy the item...you will still buy it if it's not on sale, right? When these items go on sale, they are not likely to go on a great sale again for 6 weeks. Stock up for 4-6 weeks. Hopefully by that time you will have accumulated a coupon "stock pile".

5) Why would I keep a coupon I don't need?

There are two reasons.  The first is that sometimes, the item goes on sale and it ends up being free...would you consider using it then? Maybe you could donate it.  Second being that oftentimes the odd coupons end up making for money makers at stores like CVS and WALGREENS. Look through the beggining of Walgreens Register reward items and you will see what I'm talking about there.

6) Do all stores take coupons the same way?

No. Each store has their own policy. The hardest thing to get used to once you organize your coupons the most efficent way is going to be keep track of each stores policy.  Below is a brief description.  Keep in mind that printing the store policy and keeping it with you at all times is a valuable thing to do if you can find it. Many stores don't know their own policy, but its hard to argue with corperate!

Farm Fresh- Doubles up to .99 every day. 20 coupons doubled max. 2 coupons for like items doubled max. Coupons including $1 doubled on WEDNESDAYS ONLY (so shop then!).  Will not double coupons that say "do not double". If the barcode is coded with a 5 the computer will still double it and your cashier will have to fix it manually. Choose your cashier wisely! Can stack a manufacters and a store coupon for the same item (store coupons are found in the wednesday ad and are not coded starting with a 9 or 5).

Kroger- Doubles up to and including .50. You can also ad upromise coupons to a Kroger card.

Harris Teeter- Harris teeters coupon policy is much like farm fresh, except they only double up to .99. They do super doubles sales approx evry 6 weeks (I've noticed not during the holidays though) and double up to 1.98. I hold on to many 1.50 off coupons for this sale specifically where I manage to save a few hundred dollars in just a couple of days. They don't do store coupons really that I  know of. Limit 20 coupons per transaction. limit 3 like coupons double if they are from the paper. Limit 2 if it is printed. May not use a coupon on the "free" items in a b1g1 sale.

7) When you buy so much in one trip that you aren't using right away, do you really save money?

YES!  There really aren't many coupons for meat and produce and milk. But for nearly EVERYTHING else I get, I have a coupon. I started small and you will too. If you save $10 your first week, $10 your second, $25 your third...soon enough there will be weeks you really don't NEED to go to the store, but you need to keep your stockpile stocked.

8) How much do I stockpile?

Well, only you really can answer that question. Off the top of my head here is an approximate appropriate stock pile:

Pasta- 15 boxes (shouldn't ever have to pay for)
Dish detergent (3 containers)
Dish soap ( 10 containers)
Sponges (8)
Muffin mixes etc 15 (don't pay much for these either no more the .05 per box)
Meat enough to last 2 weeks at a time
Dairy- I only keep milk for 4 days since my kids age. I Freeze my cheese right now I have 2 blocks frozen as well as 3 sets of singles frozen. I bought all of those for less then one block or thing of singles would cost. Sour cream I only keep one of at a time. By the time it goes bad I can get another for .50 or less
Soda- I don't keep this as a rule of thumb. It's cheaper and healthier to not drink it
Frozen Pizzas- I only get them if they are free, otherwise I make my pizza from scratch
Other frozen items- only if they are less the $1
Frozen Veggies- .50 or less I buy them no matter what
produce-I get whatever fruits and veggies are on sale that particular week and that is what we eat. the following week it changes.

9) I'm confused, what is SS, RP, AY, RR, and PG???
SS-Smartsource insert( found in your sunday paper, date it and file it)
RP-Redplum insert (found in your mailbox)
AY-All you magazine, purchase for just over $2 at walmart
PG-Proctor and gamble insert found in sundays paper
RR-Register rewards (they are valid for your NEXT purchase at walgreens only, you get them when you buy specified items. Harris teeter will also take them since they are a competitors coupon)

10) I'm overwhelmed.

Some deals in the past week I've gotten in the past 2 weeks to keep you motivated:

Popcorn with 2 free redbox codes .60 each
7up and sunkist (free with 2 of the popcorns)
Martha white muffin mix (.05/2)
Ronzoni garden delights pasta, free (actually my coupon doubled, i made a dollar buying these)
Deer park bottled water .50 a case of 24
Classico pasta sauce .50
Diapers 4.49 for a jumbo pack of huggies
Cream of wheat bowls FREE
Kraft 2% singles FREE -.49
Pillsbury brownie mix .20
Campbells chunky soup FREE


:) Post with any questions you may have

No comments:

Post a Comment